Mr Venki Sundaram
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
MD FRCOphth MRCOphth BMBCh BSc
As a leading Consultant Ophthalmologist, I strongly believe in providing the highest level of eye care for my patients. I pride myself in delivering Excellence in Eye Care at every step throughout your journey.
I gained my training and experience at world-class institutions, including Oxford University & Moorfields Eye Hospital and have since gone on to provide cataract surgery and restore vision for thousands of patients throughout my career.
As a specialist in cataract surgery, retinal conditions & glaucoma, the leading causes of vision problems, and with the help of my clinical experience and extensive research understanding, I am able to offer my patients expert advice and opinions on the latest therapies and treatments.
I have been involved with world-leading clinical trials into gene and stem cell therapies and have presented this work at major international eye conferences and some of the most prestigious medical journals. I also act on advisory panels to major international therapeutic companies.
Additionally, I am the lead author of a major ophthalmic textbook that is widely used amongst junior eye surgeons within the UK.
Having played tennis to an international level, I am able to apply my engrained habits of professionalism, constantly maintaining high standards, focus and operating in a calm manner during operations.
For more information on how you can begin your journey to better vision contact one of our team today and book your initial consultation.
- I am a Consultant Ophthalmologist at the Luton and Dunstable NHS University Hospital.
- I graduated from Oxford University Medical School and completed my comprehensive Ophthalmology training in the London Deanery and Moorfields Eye Hospital.
- I completed a Medical Retina Fellowship at Moorfields gaining excellent experience of retinal conditions and complex cataract surgery, at Europe’s largest eye hospital.
- I have performed thousands of cataract operations, retinal injections and laser procedures.
- Medical Retina (Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Eye Disease, Retinal Vein Occlusion)
- Cataract Surgery (particularly in people with Retinal conditions)
- General Ophthalmic conditions
- Intravitreal injections (e.g. Lucentis) for retinal conditions
- Cataract Surgery with monofocal, toric and multifocal lenses
- Retinal Laser for Diabetic Eye Disease
- Laser for Glaucoma
- I spent 2 years at the UCL Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields, where I was the Principal Ophthalmologist to the world’s first Gene Therapy trial for inherited retinal disease, and Europe’s first retinal Stem Cell Therapy trial, and obtained my MD research degree.
- I have published my work in the most prestigious Ophthalmology journals and presented my research work at all the major national and international Ophthalmology conferences.
- I am actively involved with developing retinal therapies and have been selected as a site Principal Investigator for a national study, investigating the optimum treatment for retinal vein occlusion.
- I am the lead author of the “Training in Ophthalmology” textbook published by Oxford University Press, which is widely used by junior Ophthalmologists in this country and also abroad. This book is now in its 2nd edition.
- I am an approved trainer of Microsurgical Skills for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, helping the next generation of ophthalmologists to develop their surgical abilities.
Family and Hobbies
- I am married and we have 2 children.
- I enjoy playing tennis and have competed at an international level, representing Great Britain on numerous occasions. I now represent Herts County in over 35s tennis and currently in the top 4 counties of national tennis.
My Aims and Philosophy
- To provide the highest standard of surgery and ophthalmic expertise in a caring and informed manner.
- To use my clinical experience and research understanding to advise patients on the most up-to-date and appropriate treatments for them.